Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Scrap Yourself "always HOME" layout

Another layout I did for Debbie Hodge's online class "Scrap Yourself"

journaling reads:
Grandma and Grandpa’s house will always be home. It is where I have lived for most of my life. My Grandma Betty’s parents first moved to the North Highlands area in 1928, originally it was called Rio Linda. First living on 32nd street and then later moving to 34th my Grandma has lived here for most of her life. Here, her and my Grandpa Leroy raised my Mother and Uncles.

This is where I grew up and I was surrounded by my family. My Mom, Step-Dad and little sister live in the house in front of my Grandparents. My Aunt Marge lived in the house behind my Grandparents, but now my cousin Joyce and Maynard live there. While I was growing up my Aunts and Uncles also lived in the neighborhood.

I have so many wonderful memories of North Highlands, 34th street, and Grandma and Grandpa’s house.
Grandma and Grandpa’s doors were always open. When I wasn’t living there with them, I was running back and forth from Mom’s house to theirs.

Grandma cooked huge Sunday dinners every week for the whole family, huge, wonderful, delicious dinners. I remember the sound of laughter. I’m sure there probably wasn’t only laughter all the time, but it is what I remember most. Grandpa was always out “tinkering” in his garage, that is to say when he wasn’t fishing.

My cousin Michael and I rode bikes, roamed in the fields, and played in the dirt. We fought a lot too. There was never a shortage of someone to play with. My neighbor friends were always around; we ate otter pops in the front yard, caught poly-wogs at the creek, or play Nintendo inside. We practically lived in each other’s homes.

When I think of North Highlands, I picture my Grandparents home, Grandpa’s Garage, Mom’s house, open fields, rolie polies and frogs, cats everywhere, the sunset, and the creek. I remember the sandbox that Grandpa built for me, spending time with Grandma and having all those talks with my Mom.

This was my home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I love all your scrapbooking ideas, I really can't wait until TJ and I have a home so I can get all my stuff out again. I haven't scrapped for about a year and now that we have a baby on the way, I really want to start up again.